Steps in the Rite of Reconciliation
Below is a brief outline of the Steps in the Rite of Reconciliation to lessen any awkwardness. Be assured, the SJDR priests will be over-joyed to guide you through this process!
- Make the Sign of the Cross
- Say "Forgive me Father for I have sinned" then state how long it has been since your last confession to the best of your ability.
- Example: Forgive me Father for I have sinned. It has been three months since my last confession.
- State your sins using the Ten Commandments as a guide. Include any sins of omission. Do not purposely hold anything back.
- After you have told the priest your sins say "I am sorry for these and all of my sins."
- The priest will give you a penance. (Complete the penance as soon as possible).
- Say an Act of Contrition (see below). A contrite "I am so sorry" will do.
- O, my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you. I detest all my sins because of your just punishment, but most of all because they offend you, my God, who are all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Your grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin.
- The priest says the Prayer of Absolution
- Make the Sign of the Cross and respond, "Amen."
- The priest may offer praise to God.
- Father will dismiss you. Often the priest says, "Your sins are forgiven. Go in Peace."